Thursday, June 9, 2011

Too Pooped To Pop!

I thought moving pretty much cleaned my clock, but I have landed in this demanding little world of "it never gets too late to start a new task." I don't quite know what to think of it, either. My body feels completely wrung out and stomped upon but my spirit just keeps chuckling. At least this year, I'm not having to get up at 5:30 EVERY SINGLE DAY OF THE WEEK like I did last year. Seven thirty AM to 10:30 PM is a shorter shift. Not exaggerating for effect, either.

I keep thinking about going into detail to prove how tough this venture (the Montana leg of My Summer of This is Big)really is, but I don't quite have the heart for it, because I'm just so pleased with the state my mind is in. Not that I know what that state is, though. I feel somehow transformed but not able to determine from what to which! It feels significant and transitory, like a bridge. From somewhere across something to somewhere else.

This is my third year working for Montana Association of the Blind Summer Orientation Program (MABSOP)and while in some ways it feels as though I never left this place and we all never really lived anywhere or any other way than what we are doing right now, there is so much of it that is strange and new and almost incomprehensible. Part of that is due, of course, to the fact that each time I come here, it's in a different capacity: O&M, Hostess, Office/Computer/Assistant--and by assistant I mean you could never think of the diversity of tasks that come my way.

OK, here's one for you: Drive to the nursery and pick up some donated tomatoes for our kitchen on your way to get some discarded lettuce to take up to the bunny ranch. And by Bunny Ranch, I mean that old place out past the Junk Car Ranch, where when you get out of the car and open the trunk which is full of lettuce, the bunnies come hopping, running, skittering, rollerblading right up to your ankles like so many roly-poly rodents--well, the ones not in cages out back or being bottle-fed in the house, at least. I tried to take a picture, but they knocked the camera out of my hands. You'll just have to take my word for it.

No comments: