Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Place Chief Rolling Mountain Thunder Built

During the years I lived in Ogden, Salt Lake City and San Francisco, I (sometimes we) took several trips over the years across Nevada and on one such trip, after having driven by this place just outside of Winnemucca, NV, numerous times without stopping, I had a change of heart, turned my car around and drove the messed up dirt road to get to Thunder Mountain, Nevada.  You can see it from the highway, but it doesn't look very appealing.  It just looks ... odd.  Up close, it looks ... still odd. 

It has a draw, though.  To me, it was like searching those hidden-picture puzzles that I think are so clever.  This was a few years ago, so maybe it's in a better state of repair these days.  The website certainly looks much prettier than what I remember of my visit to this lonely little roadside oddity and it tells of restoration, along with some background and history of Chief Rolling Mountain Thunder, the man who built the monument.

The story is quite interesting.  Tragic and mesmerizing, if you're into that at all.

http://www.thundermountainmonument.com/


























1 comment:

Gorges Smythe said...

That's certainly different!