Friday, November 14, 2014

Fractured Thriday


"For Children:  You will need to know the difference between Friday and a fried egg.  It's quite a simple difference, but an important one.  Friday comes at the end of the week, whereas a fried egg comes out of a chicken.  Like most things, of course, it isn't quite that simple.  The fried egg isn't properly a fried egg until it's been put in a frying pan and fried.  This is something you wouldn't do to a Friday, of course, though you might do it on a Friday.  You can also fry eggs on a Thursday, if you like, or on a cooker.  It's all rather complicated, but it makes a kind of sense if you think about it for a while."
-- Douglas Adams, The Salmon of Doubt Hitchhiking the Galaxy One Last Time

I work 4 ten-hour days and normally have Friday as part of my weekend.  People in my office often make reference to Thursday being our Friday by calling it Thriday.  It's cutesy, I know, and if I'm anything, it is not cutesy, but I'll take it now because I don't think I'm cut out for writing in a blog every day of the week.  I got Way-layed on Wednesday and now Thursday is Through.  (I never claimed I wasn't corny) Here it is Friday and I am not going to do anymore every-day-writing after this (because, remember? I started on Saturday!) I'm wondering why it is that I even feel the need to explain any of this.  It's Fractured Friday because this entry is pieced together like so many shards of glass being glued together.  Like a funhouse mirror. Like Thursday and Friday getting mixed up with each other.

And now here's an explanation of my (sometimes Fractured) Philosophy of Life.  If you know me at all, you will totally get it:

"Narrator:  And now, we come to the next chapter in which...
Winnie the Pooh:  But I haven't finished yet.
Narrator: But Pooh, you're in the next chapter.
Winnie the Pooh: Oh. Well, what happens to me?
Narrator: Well, let's turn the page and find out."

--A.A. Milne The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh


Remember that chapter way back there where I went chasing rainbows?  I caught one!















3 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

Hunh? lol

Unknown said...

Trying to stay with whatever that was about fried eggs gave me a splitting headache. So, I get the part about fracturing now.

Penny said...

Hey Gorges and Jerry, you both might remember those Fractured Fairy Tales on the Rocky and Bulwinkle Show...my favorite part of that whole cartoon mess. Haven't thought of them in years.