Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Run Run As Fast As You Can, You Can't Catch Me, I'm In Ketchikan













And it's quite slippery here in the winter.  Probably pretty slippery most of the time, this being smack in the middle of a temperate rain forest.  Tongass, that is.  The largest national rainforest in the United States.



Ketchikan is on Revillagigedo Island and the city itself is a whopping 4.1 square miles--82% land and 18% water.  It's the southeastern most city in Alaska.  (Alaska, I have found, is possessed of a lot of superlatives, the first of course describing its size compared with all the other states in the Union...highest zip codes assigned a US city, largest collection of standing totems, the latter two applying to Ketchikan, as a matter of fact.) I travelled to the end of the road in both directions, a few miles out of town, until I ran out of road to run on.  A person could feel a little trapped, I fear, if she didn't have ready means at hand to leave when or if she wanted to.  It's a bit costly to fly into the area and get across to the city by way of ferry... how you going to leave if you don't have plenty of means?

Oh say...were we speaking of totems?

11 comments:

radagast said...

Beautiful. I'd amire the way you're doing Alaska up right!

Penny said...

Thanks Wade,
This is a lucky second or third childhood for me...these trips are my job! (I wish I could do the blogger comment thing, right, though. I have suddenly begun to get loads of spam and now have to moderate, where for years I never got a spam comment. Weird, huh?)

Trish said...

Who would ever want to leave?

radagast said...

Sorry about my poor proofreading--and the spam.

Gorges Smythe said...

Nearly all of my spam disappeared when I disabled the anonymous comment option. Moderating isn't a big deal if you read your comments anyway.

DeEtta said...

Looks like a place I would love to visit. Thanks for sharing your adventures.

Penny said...

Oh! Of course. Don't let anonymous comment. I'll go figure that out. I do read my comments but getting spam irritates me mostly because ...well, because it's spam. Makes things messy. It's yet another example of someone doing something I don't like and using my space to do it.

Penny said...

Come and bring your camera!

baby said...

We enjoyed it there too and checked out the museums and saw the two eagles. We got some stuff at the thrift store too. Very nice blog Penny.

Unknown said...

"Agreeable Like Spring" has been included in the A Sunday Drive for this week. Be assured that I hope this helps to point even more new visitors in your direction.

http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2013/04/a-sunday-drive.html

country life said...

I love your pictures!! This is a very beautiful place, you made me feel almost like I was there! :)